Welcome to 2012! January is a time for reflection over the previous year and to plan for the next. I don’t always make new year’s resolutions but this year I decided that I have a few things that I would like to focus on this year. Here they are:
1. Get in shape. I am going to make full use of my gym membership and get moving this year! Also, I will get back on using a food diary since that really helps me to watch what I eat and make wise choices. I like the Fat Secret app (bad name, great app). It’s free too which is the best! You can find it at www.fatsecret.com.
2. Pay off debt. I am going to continue to work on paying off my debt this year and I really want to do as much as I can. To keep myself accountable I will write more about this journey and post monthly debt check-ins showing how much I paid off each month. I have been doing this for myself for the past few months and I have found it really useful to see all the numbers in one place and track my progress. I encourage each of you to do the same.
3. Save money. One of the reasons I am in debt is because I have not had enough in savings to cover sudden expenses or to save to pay for special trips or purchases. So I will work also on saving up to have an emergency savings fund and to save for travel and expenses related to my sister’s wedding later this year.
4. Not to be late everywhere I go. I don’t know if you suffer from this but I am chronically late. I was even born three weeks late. I am going to make a concerted effort to arrive places on time (or even early! Gasp!) so that I am not selfishly wasting other’s time.
5. Spend some time with my God every day. I want to work on strengthening the relationship between my higher power and myself so I want to make a point to spend some time every day in prayer and reflection.
6. Listen more. I am a talker but not as good of a listener so I want to work on listening not just to what people say but what they don’t say.
7. Finish grad school. Almost done! Just two more semesters!
What are your new year’s resolutions?